- What are the differences between research postgraduate programmes and taught postgraduate programmes?
- What is the English language requirement for admission to HKBU postgraduate programmes?
- Can I submit more than one application?
- Where can I download the application form?
- Should I arrange to send my official transcript(s) directly from the institution(s) I attended?
- I am a final year undergraduate / postgraduate student. Can I apply for the programmes or should I wait until my degree is conferred?
- Do I need to find a supervisor on my research proposal before I apply for the research postgraduate programme?
- When is the deadline for application?
- How do I pay the application fee?
- Can I apply for scholarships?
- Do I need to nominate referee(s) for my application?
- My IELTS/TOEFL test report will be available later but the application deadline is approaching. Can I submit my application first?
Research postgraduate programmes include Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programmes, which focus mainly on research work. Research students are required to take coursework, complete an approved programme of supervised research, present the research undertakings and findings and pass an oral examination on the written thesis. Taught postgraduate programmes focus mainly on coursework. Taught postgraduate students are required to attend classes and satisfy the coursework requirements of the programme.
You can submit multiple applications to different programmes for the same intake. You will need to pay an application fee and submit relevant supporting materials for each application you make. You will have to register separate accounts for multiple applications through the online application system.
Please note that admission offers of different programmes will be issued at different times. All fees paid are NOT refundable.
During the application stage, you can simply provide us with photocopies of your transcript(s). Once you have been given an offer, please arrange for your official transcript(s) to be sent directly from the institution(s) you attended to the Graduate School by the date stipulated in the admission offer letter.
If you are in your final year of study, you may submit applications before obtaining a confirmation of graduation. Successful applicants will be given a conditional offer.
It is NOT mandatory. The Faculty/School/Department will appoint a supervisor for you if you are admitted. However, you may wish to visit the website of the relevant Faculty/School/Department to explore the research areas or fields of study of the faculty members.
Please settle the fee by E-Payment. That is to pay on-line by credit card, either VISA, MASTER or CUP card and the fee paid is non-refundable.
Note 1 :
If you would like to use the VISA/MASTER card to pay for the online application fee (non-refundable), please select E-Payment option and choose the BEA JETCO Payment Gateway.
Note 2 :
If you would like to use the CUP card to pay for the online application fee (non-refundable), you are required to use Internet Explorer 7.0 or above to submit e-payment. Please select E-Payment option; then choose UnionPay Online Payment (UPOP).
Our scholarships (studentships) are for selected recipients on the basis of academic merits, programme and year of study, nominations from Departments and other criteria stipulated by donors. Generally speaking, you need not apply for specific scholarships directly. Selection will be mainly based on students’ performance after admission to our University.
You are requested to nominate two referees for your application. Proposed supervisor(s) from HKBU and persons from non-academic backgrounds are not considered as appropriate academic referees. Your referees will receive an invitation email to complete an online confidential reference for you upon your successful submission of an online application.
You may submit your application. However, please mark ‘pending’ for the testing result(s), state the expected date for receiving the test report in your application (see Screen below) and upload a proof of your test appointment/schedule as the supporting document. The concerned Department/Faculty may not review your application if the required document(s) is/are not submitted before the application deadline.
[Click to Enlarge]