Academic Qualification Requirements
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Applicants seeking admission to the PhD degree programme should possess:
- a master’s degree from a recognized university or comparable institution; or
- a bachelor’s degree with first class honours from a recognized university or comparable institution; or
- any other qualification deemed by the Graduate School to be acceptable for this purpose.
Candidates under paragraph (b) should have evidence of research achievement/experience. They may be admitted to the MPhil programme initially, but with a view to proceeding to the PhD programme after satisfactorily passing an assessment at the time of candidature confirmation.
Candidates under paragraph (c) may be required to take a qualifying examination. Their progress shall be reported to the Graduate School at the end of their first year of study.
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
Applicants seeking admission to the MPhil degree programme should possess:
- a bachelor’s degree with honours from a recognized university or comparable institution; or
- a qualification deemed to be equivalent; and shall, if required, satisfy the examiners in a qualifying examination.
Normally, only First and Second class honours graduates will be considered to have met the admissions criterion under paragraph (a). Graduates with third class honours degrees, with a period of relevant work experience and satisfactory results in the qualifying examination, may also be considered.
Language Proficiency Requirements
An applicant seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong of which the language of teaching and/or examination is not English is required to obtain a minimum score in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) at 550 (PBT)/79(IBT)* or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) at 6.5. (* PBT: Paper-based Test; IBT: Internet-based Test. The TOEFL institution code of the University is 9467).
Students are also required to meet the subscore requirement of TOEFL (Reading ≥18; Listening ≥18; Speaking≥18; Writing≥19) or IELTS (at least 5.5 for Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing).
Students failing to meet the English language proficiency requirement will have to take English enhancement course(s) after commencement of study and pass the threshold standard in relevant international English proficiency test before their oral examination.
Faculty of Science and School of Chinese Medicine
For Faculty of Science and School of Chinese Medicine, consideration will also be made for applicants with a minimum overall score in the College English Test (CET) Band 6 at 500 and grade B in the CET-SET (Speaking English Test). These students will have to take an English proficiency test upon commencement of study to determine whether and which level of English enhancement course is required and pass the threshold standard in relevant international English proficiency test before their oral examination.
School of Communication
For research postgraduate applicants interested to apply to the School of Communication, please refer to the guideline for further details.
Other Admission Criteria
The Faculty/School/Academy, in approving the application, also takes into account a number of factors, including:
- Academic excellence (i.e. GPA, professional qualifications, awards, scholarships, etc.)
- Research ability and potential (i.e. quality of the research proposal, the feasibility to carry out the research and the potential and value of the research to the department)
- Cultural diversity (i.e. whether the student would contribute to the diversify of the learning environment)
- Leadership ability and societal responsibility (i.e. proven experience in professional and/or extracurricular activities and good sense of societal responsibility)
- Communication and interpersonal skills (i.e. ability to articulate and express ideas and concepts in English both verbally and in written form)