Skip to main content
Start main content
Current Student


Hong Kong Identity Card

Anyone who intends to stay in Hong Kong for a period exceeding 180 days is required to apply for a Hong Kong Identity (HKID) Card from the Immigration Department of the HKSAR Government within 30 days of arrival. The law of Hong Kong requires that official personal identification be carried at all times. 

To obtain an HKID Card, you must apply in person at any of the Registration of Persons Offices, Immigration Department. Office address, working hours and the 24-hour appointment booking services can be found at

After you have obtained your HKID Card, you should send a photocopy to the Graduate School within one month from your commencement date.

Medical Insurance

If hospitalization in government hospitals' general wards is needed, the fee(s) for holders of HKID Card is subsidized.  For those who are not holders of HKID Card, you may want to purchase medical insurance to cover your stay and the information can be obtained here

Student Visa Extension

All non-local students are required to hold a valid student visa or entry permit from the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Immigration Department) to study in Hong Kong.

Visa status

Action time


Current students with an expired student visa




Current students with a valid student visa


Four weeks before the expiry of current visa


Please visit the website of the Immigration Department for more information on visa application/extension

Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG)

Non-local students (persons entering the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) for the purpose of education with a student visa / entry permit issued by the Director of Immigration) who have obtained an undergraduate or higher qualification in a full-time and locally-accredited programme in the HKSAR may apply to stay/return and work in the HKSAR under the IANG. For details and application procedures, please refer to the website of the Immigration Department at

Students may apply for IANG upon their fulfilment of the graduation requirements or after the graduation is approved by the Senate. To apply for academic records for IANG application, please click here (under 'Application for Testimonial').