Skip to main content
Start main content


The Immigration Department of the HKSAR Government requires all full-time non-local students (both international and from Mainland China) to obtain a student visa in order to study in Hong Kong. Part-time non-local students should possess appropriate and valid visa to prove their eligibility to stay and study in Hong Kong.

Newly admitted non-local students should apply for student visas through the University. Please click here for more information about student visa application.

For details regarding the Immigration Policy on studying in Hong Kong, please visit the website of the Immigration Department.

Before your departure:

Check out the information regarding accommodations and cost of living and make the necessary arrangement if applicable. 

After your arrival:

Open a bank account 

You are required to open a bank account in Hong Kong if you are a studentship recipient. Studentship is paid monthly in arrears by auto pay to your bank account. To open a bank account, you may need 

  • Proof of your permanent home address (documents showing your name and address, e.g. driver’s license or utility bills) 
  • Photo page of your identity document (i.e. HKID, passport), if applicable, with English translation 
  • Proof of your local address (utility bills, lease, official documents sent to this address with your name on it) 

Apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card 

You should apply for a Hong Kong Identity (HKID) Card within the first few days of your arrival in Hong Kong. Please submit a copy of your HKID Card to the Graduate School within one month from your commencement date.