Skip to main content
Start main content
Current Student

Orientation Information

Welcome aboard! Please study the following important information about research postgraduate students registration: 

Important Notes about COVID-19

You are reminded to strictly follow the measures below to ensure the health and safety of yourself and others:

  1. Observe and follow the Inbound Control Measures set by the HKSAR after you enter Hong Kong
  2. Do not enter campus if you have symptoms of coronavirus, including fever, fatigue, cough, diarrhoea, vomiting or flu-like symptoms


Date: 3 January 2023
Venue: AAB609 (Map)


The Orientation session (around 50 minutes) will:

  • walk you through the key University regulations, 
  • provide you with essential information about your studies including study journey, student support, programme requirements, etc, and
  • offer you an opportunity to meet fellow research postgraduate students.


Before Orientation - Activation of Student Account and Download of HKBU Mobile Apps                                    (after 18 December 2022)

  1. Complete Student Single Sign On (SSOid) Account Registration (Link)
  2. Download the HKBU Mobile App (iOS / Android) to access various HKBU platforms and information.
  3. Log in to BUniport  and Student Email with your student SSOid account
    • User ID: your 8-digit student number (e.g. 2248XXXX)
    • Password: same as your email login password 
    • To enhance the security of your SSOid, you are required to complete the Two-factor Authentication (2FA) using the Duo Mobile App (user guide) with a registered mobile device for validation of your identity during the sign-in process.
  4. Activate your student e-card (user guide) via HKBU Mobile App before entering the campus for the first time.
  5. Please refer to Important Notes for Newly Admitted Students for details.

After Orientation - Registration and Student Card Collection

Student Card Collection

You are required to complete the following procedures, where applicable, before collecting your student card on the same day after the Orientation session.

1.    Academic Qualification(s) Verification

Please make sure you have:

✔  requested the institution(s) of your past education to send your transcript(s) to the HKBU Graduate School directly.

✔  submitted a copy of the "Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate" (教育部学历证书电子注册备案表 sample ) to the Graduate School. (For students having graduated from universities in Mainland China ONLY


2.   Identification Documents Verification (Non-local students ONLY)

Please maske sure your have:

✔  uploaded a photocopy of the following documents to the University’s Visa Application System upon your arrival in Hong Kong

  • Passport, or Entry Permit, or EEP (往來港澳通行證)
  • Landing slip
  • Activated student visa/entry permit label
  • Relevant exit endorsement (逗留D) (Students from Mainland China ONLY)

  received an email from the Graduate School acknowledging that you have uploaded the documents above. (You will be required to show the acknowledgment email when you collect your student card.)

The registration procedures will be completed when you get your student ID card for using other University’s services.


Commencement Form

Submit a completed “Commencement Form” duly signed by your Principal Supervisor, Department Head and Faculty Dean, to the Graduate School within 10 days from your commencement date. 

Tuition Fee and Studentship

For tuition fees, there are three types of arrangements for students under different schemes or study modes:

  • If you are a full-time student offered a studentship, the tuition fee will be deducted from your monthly studentship automatically although you will still receive a tuition fee debit note in electronic format via your BUniPort account twice a year, in February and August respectively. 
  • If you are a self-funded or part-time student, you will receive your tuition debit notes in electronic format via your BUniPort account twice a year, in February and August respectively. Please settle the payment (Payment Instructions) by the stipulated due date; otherwise, there  will be a late charge.
  • For Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme awardees, the tuition fee will be waived for four years of study. 


Studentship/Fellowship recipients will be required to provide their Hong Kong bank account* and personal particulars information on BUniPort (My Profile → Study Record & Personal Particulars, then press the “Modify” button at the bottom right corner of the page) within 10 days from their study commencement date. 

* Studentship/Fellowship is paid monthly in arrears by auto-pay to the studentship/fellowship recipients' bank accounts in Hong Kong.

To open a bank account in Hong Kong, you will need to provide the following to the bank:

  • Proof of your permanent home address in your home country (documents showing your name and address, e.g. driver’s license or utility bills) 
  • Photo page of your identity document (i.e. HKID, passport), with English translation if the document is in a language other than English or Chinese.  
  • Proof of your local address (e.g. utility bills, lease, official documents sent to the address with your name on it)         

Course Registration

Students can register for HKBU courses (see BUniport) and courses offered by other local universities under the Cross-institutional Course Enrolment Scheme (link) after student registration.  

To have an overview of the coursework requirements, please refer to Academic Requirements and Coursework Registration.