Master of Science (MSc) in Operational Research & Business Statistics
Study Mode Full-time: 1 year; Part-time: 2 years
Tuition Fee HK$180,000/programme
Cut Off Date 24 Jul 2024
Year of Entry 2024 September
Funding Nature Self-financed
Application Start Date9 Oct 2023
Application Deadline5 Jun 2024 (non-local)
24 Jul 2024 (local)
Programme DirectorDr LUO Dehui
|Units Requirement||40 units|
|Required Courses||25 units|
|Elective Courses||9 units|
|Study Curriculum||The study curriculum may change from time to time. Applicants may make reference to the programme website or the University Student Handbook for details of the list of courses.|
Applicants should possess a bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics, engineering, business or other related majors; and be proficient in basic mathematics.
Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants should satisfy at least one of the following requirements on English language proficiency*:
- English as the medium of learning in bachelor’s degree programme; or
- a score of 79 (internet-based) or above in TOEFL^; or
- an overall band score of 6.0 in IELTS with a minimum of 6.5 or above in the sub-test of reading or listening^; or
- equivalent qualifications.
^Note: Test result provided should be within two years from the date of issuance of the Admission Offer letter. TOEFL iBT Home Edition or IELTS Indicator test is not accepted.
*Students who marginally fulfill the English requirements may be requested to complete additional English remedial course(s). The cost is to be borne by the students.
Scholarships are to be awarded to those who have successfully applied and been offered places in the programme as full-time students. The scholarships shall be awarded on the basis of academic results in the first two trimesters of the double-degree programme. Students who have excellent academic performance will be offered the following scholarships:
- Academic Achievement Prize:
Students who obtained a cGPA
- Top Academic Achiever's Scholarship*:
Students who have distinguished academic performance with a minimum cGPA of 3.60 will be eligible. The ranking for this scholarship will be determined by the final cGPA of the eligible students. The scholarship will be awarded as follows:
- Scholarship of HK$30,000 will be offered to student(s) who earned 1st Place;
- Scholarship of HK$20,000 will be offered to student(s) who earned 2nd Place;
- Scholarship of HK$10,000 will be offered to student(s) who earned 3rd Place.
*If the competition is tied, the Programme Management Committee will make decision based on individual cases.
Please note that each student will only be eligible for one type of scholarship. Eligible students who do not receive the Top Academic Achiever's Scholarship will automatically be considered for the Academic Achievement Prize.
This master programme is jointly operated by the Department of Mathematics of Hong Kong Baptist University and Kent Business School of the University of Kent in the United Kingdom.
Students who have satisfactorily completed the programme requirements will be awarded the following two degrees:
- Master of Science in Operational Research & Business Statistics (conferred by Hong Kong Baptist University, HK) and
- Master of Science in Business Analytics (conferred by the University of Kent, UK)*
The University of Kent has an excellent international reputation and Kent Business School has a very strong faculty in both teaching and research. Their experience and expertise, in particular in the area of business and management would give us the strength in practical, operational and managerial areas. The faculty members in the Department of Mathematics of Hong Kong Baptist University have a very strong background in Operational Research & Business Statistics. Therefore, the launch of this joint MSc in Operational Research & Business Statistics programme would be an ideal and perfect match and cooperation between the two universities.
* This is an exempted course under the NON-LOCAL HIGHER AND PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION (REGULATION) ORDINANCE CAP 493 (Ref. no.: 452850).
It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead