Part-time Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) - Traditional Stream
Faculty of Social Sciences
Study Mode Part-time: 2 years
Tuition Fee Local students: HK$42,100/programme Non-local students: HK$140,000/programme
Cut Off Date 30 Apr 2020
Year of Entry 2020 September
Application Start Date15 Nov 2019
Application Deadline30 Apr 2020 (Only Music and Physical Education are offered)
Programme DirectorProf Allen LEUNG
The primary aim of the Programme is to provide professional training for local school teachers who have obtained a bachelor’s degree in an academic discipline. In the capacity of a teacher, a person may have to assume several roles in the education circle, some being more prominent than others at different stages of his or her career.
The roles identified to be the focus of this Programme are those of: a social and autonomous individual, a facilitator of learning, an educational innovator, and a professional educator.
|Units Requirement||26 units|
|Required Courses||20 units|
|Elective Courses||2 units|
|Supervised Teaching Practice Courses||4 units|
|Study Curriculum||The study curriculum may change from time to time. Applicants may make reference to the programme website or the University Student Handbook 2019/20 for details of the list of courses.|
Applicants should possess a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university or equivalent*.
* Applicants applying for Physical Education must hold a recognised bachelor’s degree or equivalent majoring in PE or a relevant discipline.
Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants should possess proficiency in reading and writing of both Chinese and English as recognised by the Department.
Proof of English proficiency is required for all applicants whose bachelor’s degrees were obtained from programmes where the medium of instruction is not English. These applicants must meet the following minimum requirements for English proficiency:
For applicants applying for the English specialising subject:
- An overall band score of 6.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or equivalent
For applicants applying for non-English specialising subjects:
- An overall band score of 6.0 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or equivalent
- Applicants should possess a full-time local school teacher status#.
- Students may be provisionally accepted at the time of application, but they should have their full-time local school teacher status confirmed before registration for the programme.
# Applicants who do not have a full-time local school teacher status will be considered on a case-by-case basis and, if admitted, have to fulfill teaching practice requirements stipulated by the Department of Education Studies.
For UGC-funded programmes, unless otherwise approved by the University, registered candidates are normally not permitted to register part-time or full-time for any other qualification, either at the University itself or at any other local institution of higher learning. Candidates breaching this regulation are subject to discontinuation of their studies at the University.
- The above information is for reference only and is subject to change without prior notice. Hong Kong Baptist University reserves the right of final decision and interpretation in case of any dispute.
- Please note that a non-refundable admission confirmation fee, including the first instalment of tuition fee plus other administrative fees must be paid upon acceptance of the admission offer.