Master of Social Sciences (MSocSc) in Social Work
Faculty of Social Sciences
Study Mode Full-time: 2 years; Part-time: 2 years
Tuition Fee Full-time: HK$129,000/programme (plus HK$67,000 for 2 fieldwork placements); Part-time: HK$117,000/programme (plus HK$67,000 for 2 fieldwork placements)
Cut Off Date 21 Aug 2020
Year of Entry 2020 September
Funding Nature Self-financed
Application Start Date15 Nov 2019
Application Deadline1st round: 31 Jan 2020
2nd round: 30 Apr 2020
Final round: 30 Jun 2020 (non-local)
21 Aug 2020 (local)
(Early closure of application upon quota full)
Programme DirectorProf Petrus NG (Head, Department of Social Work),
Dr Simon Chan (Programme Director of Full-time programme), Dr Leung Shui King, Sharon (Programme Director of Part-time programme)
|Units Requirement||37 units|
|Social Work Courses||21 units|
|Elective Course||3 units|
|Integrative Tutorials||3 units|
|Fieldwork Placements||10 units|
|Study Curriculum||The study curriculum may change from time to time. Applicants may make reference to the programme website or the University Student Handbook 2019/20 for details of the list of courses.|
Applicants should possess:
- a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university, or
- a qualification deemed to be equivalent.
Language Proficiency Requirement
Proof of English proficiency is required for all applicants whose Bachelor’s/Master’s degrees are obtained from institutions with non-English teaching medium. These applicants must meet the following minimum requirements for English proficiency:
- an overall band score of 6.0 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
- a score of 74 (internet-based test) in TOEFL; or
- an equivalent score on a comparable test.
Priority will be given to applicants with RSW qualification (registered on the basis of a recognised social work diploma) or with social sciences background at undergraduate level.
The Qualification Recognition Review exercise on Master of Social Sciences in Social Work (Part-time mode) has been deferred to mitigate risks to health of all stakeholders in this critical period of time. To make the deferral possible, Social Workers Registration Board (SWRB) has granted one-year extension of the current recognition period to the programme to include the intake cohort of academic year of 2020-21.
- The above information is for reference only and is subject to change without prior notice. Hong Kong Baptist University reserves the right of final decision and interpretation in case of any dispute.
- Please note that a non-refundable admission confirmation fee, including the first instalment of tuition fee plus other administrative fees must be paid upon acceptance of the admission offer.