Master of Science (MSc) in Operational Research & Business Statistics
Faculty of Science
Study Mode Full-time: 1 year
Tuition Fee HK$160,000/programme
Cut Off Date 26 Jul 2021
Year of Entry 2021 September
Funding Nature Self-financed
Application Start Date28 Sep 2020
Application Deadline7 Jun 2021 (non-local)
26 July 2021 (local)
Programme DirectorDr Andy YAU
|Units Requirement||40 units|
|Required Courses||25 units|
|Elective Courses||9 units|
|Study Curriculum||The study curriculum may change from time to time. Applicants may make reference to the programme website or the University Student Handbook for details of the list of courses.|
Applicants should possess a bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics, engineering, business or other related majors; and be proficient in basic mathematics.
Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants should satisfy at least one of the following requirements on English language proficiency*:
- English as the medium of learning in bachelor’s degree programme; or
- a score of 79 (internet-based) or above in TOEFL; or
- an overall band score of 6.0 in IELTS with a minimum of 6.5 or above in the sub-test of reading or listening; or
- equivalent qualifications.
*Students who marginally fulfill the English requirements may be requested to complete additional English remedial course(s). The cost is to be borne by the students.
Scholarships will be awarded to full-time students of the programme on the basis of their academic results in the first semester of the programme:
- Scholarship HK$50,000 will be offered to students with GPA of 4.0
- Scholarship HK$40,000 will be offered to students with GPA of 3.9
- Scholarship HK$30,000 will be offered to students with GPA of 3.8
- Scholarship HK$20,000 will be offered to students with GPA of 3.7
- Scholarship HK$10,000 will be offered to students with GPA of 3.6
- Scholarship (not more than) HK$5,000 will be offered to students with GPA over 3.4 but below 3.6
This master programme is jointly operated by the Department of Mathematics of Hong Kong Baptist University and Kent Business School of the University of Kent in the United Kingdom.
Students who have satisfactorily completed the programme requirements will be awarded the following two degrees:
- Master of Science in Operational Research & Business Statistics (conferred by Hong Kong Baptist University, HK) and
- Master of Science in Business Analytics (conferred by the University of Kent, UK)*
The University of Kent has an excellent international reputation and Kent Business School has a very strong faculty in both teaching and research. Their experience and expertise, in particular in the area of business and management would give us the strength in practical, operational and managerial areas. The faculty members in the Department of Mathematics of Hong Kong Baptist University have a very strong background in Operational Research & Business Statistics. Therefore, the launch of this joint MSc in Operational Research & Business Statistics programme would be an ideal and perfect match and cooperation between the two universities.
* This is an exempted course under the NON-LOCAL HIGHER AND PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION (REGULATION) ORDINANCE CAP 493 (Ref. no.: 452850).
It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead
- The above information is for reference only and is subject to change without prior notice. Hong Kong Baptist University reserves the right of final decision and interpretation in case of any dispute.
- Please note that a non-refundable admission confirmation fee, including the first instalment of tuition fee plus other administrative fees must be paid upon acceptance of the admission offer.