Master of Science (MSc) in Applied Economics
School of Business
Study Mode Full-time: 1 year
Tuition Fee HK$188,000/programme
Cut Off Date 31 Jan 2020
Year of Entry 2020 September
Funding Nature Self-financed
Application Deadline 31 Jan 2020
Programme DirectorDr WAN Shui Ki
|Aims||This Programme, Master of Science in Applied Economics (MScAEcon), provides theoretical and applied training in economic analysis. By taking various applied electives, in addition to the theoretical cores, students will be trained to analysing economic issues relevant to their work.
A distinct feature of this MScAEcon Programme is the balanced training in economic knowledge. Specifically, this Programme aims at training:
|Units Requirement||30 units|
|Required Courses||12 units*|
|Elective Courses||18 units*|
* Subject to University's approval
|Study Curriculum||The study curriculum may change from time to time. Applicants may make reference to the programme website or the University Student Handbook 2019/20 for details of the list of courses.|
The overall scholastic record and potential of the applicant for admission is more important than prior preparation in specific areas of economics. While undergraduate specialisation in economics is desirable, the Programme is open to students whose undergraduate degree has been in other fields.
General Admission Requirements
To be eligible for admission to the Master of Science in Applied Economics Programme, the applicant must hold a bachelor degree from a recognised university, or equivalent. Although a bachelor degree in economics or related areas is not a pre-requisite for admission, the applicant is expected to possess the knowledge of microeconomics and macroeconomics, with some training in mathematics (especially in calculus and linear algebra) and statistics.
Language Proficiency Requirements
Proof of English proficiency is required for applicants whose first degree were obtained from non-English-medium institutions. The English proficiency requirement can be fulfilled by achieving any one of the following standards:
- a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 79; or
- a minimum of 6.5 in IELTS; or
- other equivalent qualifications.
- The above information is for reference only and is subject to change without prior notice. Hong Kong Baptist University reserves the right of final decision and interpretation in case of any dispute.
- Please note that a non-refundable admission confirmation fee, including the first instalment of tuition fee plus other administrative fees must be paid upon acceptance of the admission offer.