Master of Arts (MA) in Literary and Comparative Studies
Faculty of Arts
Study Mode Full-time: 1 year; Part-time: 2 years
Tuition Fee Local students: HK$94,500/programme; Non-local students: HK$99,900/programme
Cut Off Date 08 Aug 2019
Year of Entry 2019 September
Funding Nature Self-financed
Application Deadline Local applicants: 8 Aug 2019
Non-local applicants: 15 Jun 2019
Programme Director Dr Magdalen KI
The MA in Literary and Comparative Studies (MALCS) aims to provide students the opportunity to explore literatures in English, activate experiential learning, conduct independent research, and present their findings in a comparative and globalized context. These emphases give a distinctive character to the Programme and reflect the 2020 vision of HKBU—a vison that purports to promote world class research and deliver the best student experience.
The MA Programme strives to deliver the best student experience by emphasizing experiential and multimodal learning. Students will complete media-enriched projects, take part in outdoor activities and study tours, with a view to enhancing their abilities to think out of the box, develop cross-cultural understanding, engage with different peoples and communities, and apply their knowledge to real-world issues.
Students can opt for the full-time or part-time study mode to suit their interests. If pursuing the degree full-time, students will complete 27 units in one academic year; if part-time, students will complete the same number of units in two academic years.
|Units Requirement||27 units|
|Required Courses||15 units|
|Elective Courses||9 - 12 units|
|Master's Project (optional)||3 units|
|Study Curriculum||The study curriculum may change from time to time. Applicants may make reference to the programme website or the University Student Handbook 2018/19 for details of the list of courses.|
Applicants applying to the MALCS Programme:
- should hold a bachelor’s degree (BA) from a recognised university or comparable institution; or a qualification deemed to be equivalent.
Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants whose first degree is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is not English should:
- At least one of the following minimum scores or standards have been achieved: (i) a score of 6.5 in IELTS; (ii) a TOEFL iBT (internet-based testing) score of 79 or PBT (Paper-based/delivered Test) of 550; (iii) a score of 500 in CET6; (iv) Grade D in AS Use of English (HKALE); OR (v) Level 4 in English Language (HKDSE).
- be able to communicate in English at an advanced level.
Mature students and other candidates lacking the above qualifications may be admitted on a case-by-case basis. A qualifying examination may be required.
- The above information is for reference only and is subject to change without prior notice. Hong Kong Baptist University reserves the right of final decision and interpretation in case of any dispute.
- Please note that a non-refundable admission confirmation fee, including the first instalment of tuition fee plus other administrative fees must be paid upon acceptance of the admission offer.