FAQ (Before Submission of Application) - TPG
- How to find out the application information and admission requirements of the taught postgraduate programme?
- How can I apply for the programme?
- What are the English language proficiency requirements for admission to taught postgraduate programmes?
- Do I need to attend an interview?
- What kind of supporting documents will be needed for considering my application?
- Should I arrange my degree awarding institutions to send my official academic transcript(s) to Graduate School directly?
- How do I know if I am non-local or local applicant?
- Can I change my applied programme during the application/after submitting the application?
- Can I apply for multiple programmes in one application?
- My IELTS/TOEFL/GMAT test report will be available later but the application deadline is approaching. Can I submit my application first?
- I am a final year undergraduate/postgraduate student. Can I apply for the programmes now or do I need to wait until my degree is conferred?
- How can I submit the supporting documents if the number/size of files exceeds the upload limit?
- How much is the application fee?
- When do I need to pay the application fee and how can I make the payment?
- Are there any other methods to pay the application fee?
- I chose ‘no E-payment’ by mistake. Can I change it to ‘E-payment’ now?
- How should I pay the application fee if my online transaction at the BEA payment gateway was rejected?
- Do I need to nominate referee(s) for my application?
- Can I apply for scholarships?
- How can I submit my portfolio/work in multimedia format in the Online Application System?
The English language proficiency requirements of individual programmes vary. Please refer to the programme-specific requirements as appropriate. To fulfill the requirement, applicants should normally:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree which is awarded by a recognised institution where English is the medium of instruction; or
- Provide any of the following valid test results (i.e. within two years from the issuance of the admission offer):
- TOEFL: 550 (Paper‐based) and/or 79 (Internet‐based) or above; or
- IELTS (Academic): Overall Band at 6.5 or above.
The admission selection process varies among programmes. In case an admission interview is required, shortlisted applicants will be informed by the Programme Office directly.
In general, applicants should submit a copy of the:
- Degree certificate(s), graduation diploma(s), and academic transcript(s)
- English proficiency test result (e.g. TOEFL/IELTS) if applicable.
- Hong Kong identity card (for local applicants); passport/other identity documents of home country (for non-local applicants)
Please click HERE for details of the required supporting documents.
This is not required at the application stage. However, please provide a copy of your academic transcript(s) as this will help the University to understand your previous/current academic performance.
Local applicants refer to persons who
- are Hong Kong permanent residents; or
- possess a One-way permit or Investment/Professional Entrant permit to stay in Hong Kong.
Non-local applicants refer to persons who:
- are not Hong Kong permanent residents; or
- possess a dependent visa or an employment visa to stay in Hong Kong; or
- are not possess a valid visa to study in Hong Kong.
Upon activating your personal account at the Online Application System, you are required to indicate the programme you wish to apply for by clicking “programme applied for” (see Screen 1 and 2 below). Once you have chosen the programme, you cannot make any changes afterwards (see Screen 3 below).
[Screen 2 - Click to Enlarge]
[Screen 3 - Click to Enlarge]
Application is considered on a programme basis. Therefore, you can only apply one programme at a time.
If the applied programme has different streams/concentrations/specialisations, please indicate your preference in the same application.
If you intend to apply for multiple programmes, please create separate accounts at the Online Application System.
Please note that there is a space limit of 20 MB (2 MB per file) and a maximum file numbers of 30 for uploading the supporting documents. In this connection, you are advised to combine your files and/or compress the file size as appropriate.
HK$350 for local applicants; HK$450 for non-local applicants.
To avoid delay in processing your application, you are advised to immediately pay the application fee once you click “Submit Form” at the Online Application System (see Screen 1 below) to confirm your submission.
You can make use of ‘E-payment’ (see Screen 2 below) and immediately pay the application fee online by using credit card (i.e. VISA, MASTER) or CUP card:
- Credit Card: Select ‘E-Payment’ and choose ‘BEA - JETCO Payment Gateway’.
- CUP card: Select ‘E-Payment’ and choose ‘UnionPay Online Payment (UPOP)’. Please ensure your internet browser version is Internet Explorer 7.0 or above
[Screen 1 - Click to Enlarge]
[Screen 2 - Click to Enlarge]
Following are other methods for paying the application fee. When choosing the following payment methods, please quote your full name and application number for easy reference:
|1||Octopus||Pay at service counter of the Graduate School in person|
|2||“HKD Account Deposit Form” (Sample)||Step 1: Obtain it at Hang Seng Bank and pay by cash in person
Step 2: Send the original receipt to the Graduate School by post
|3||“Credit Card Payment Form” (Download)||Step 1: Download it and fill out the data
Step 2: Send the completed form to the Graduate School via Enquiry form
Once the application is submitted, the payment method cannot be changed. Please refer to Q15 above for details of other payment methods.
You may pay the application fee by other payment methods as specified in Q15 above.
You are requested to nominate up to two referees for your application. Please note that some programmes may have specific requirements on the number and/or the capacity of the referees.
Please also read through the TPg FAQ - After Submission of Application for details of the nomination of referee(s).
Due to the space limit, you cannot directly upload multimedia files in the Online Application System. However, if it is essential to submit such files, please store your files in any storage platform and share the hyperlink of the file(s) in the “Additional Information” section in the Online Application System.