CALL FOR APPLICATIONS 2021/22
Year of Entry 2021 September
Application Closing Date 23 May 2021
The University’s Interdisciplinary Research Labs are inviting applications for the Talent100 PhD Scholarship Scheme for admission of meritorious PhD students. The Scheme provides a great opportunity for highly motivated and talented research students to participate in interdisciplinary research in various niche research areas of the University and to receive comprehensive doctoral training.
Interdisciplinary Doctoral Project-based Training
The Scheme entails practical and intensive research training by involving students in interdisciplinary research projects during their first year of doctoral study under 4-year PhD programme. Apart from research knowledge, the project-based doctoral research training also aims to enhance students’ language, writing, presentation and analytical skills as well as other soft skills, which will lay a solid foundation for the students’ future research journey. Please refer the HKBU Research's website for more details.
For details, please click here.
Monthly stipend of HK$17,820, (HK$18,320 for post-candidacy PhD),
subject to satisfactory academic progress and availability of research fund
HK$20,000 (for the whole study period)
Applicants should possess:
- a Master’s degree from a recognised university or a comparable institution; or
- a Bachelor’s degree with first class honours from a recognised university or a comparable institution.
Language Proficiency Requirements
Applicants seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university or a comparable institution whose language of teaching and/or examination is not English is required to obtain:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) at a minimum of 79 (IBT)#, or
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)# at a minimum of 6.5.
#Sub-score requirements of TOEFL (at least 18 for Reading, Listening, Speaking, and 19 for Writing) or IELTS (at least 5.5 for Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing).
While the existing University admission requirements are to be observed, applicants with the following qualifications/capacity will accord higher priority:
- Relevancy of research interests in accordance with the University’s Interdisciplinary Research Labs;
- Academic achievements in the relevant research areas, e.g. past academic records, publications in reputable journals, experience of presentation in the reputable conferences, etc.;
- Academic standing of the applicants’ previous universities/institutions; or
- Records of admission offers from reputed universities (e.g. QS/THE ranking at top 200).
Interested applicants should submit an application together with all necessary supporting documents to the University’s Online Application System. (Select “Doctor of Philosophy” under “Institute of Interdisciplinary of Studies” under “Fields of Study”. For more details on the application procedures, please visit the 'Application' webpage .)
- Indicate your research interest and proposed supervisor in your online application
- Attach necessary supporting documents (if you have already received an admission offer from another university, please provide the offer letter as a supporting document for our reference.)
- Submit your application
Successful applicants will receive an email notification. Applicants who do not hear from us by 31 July 2021 may consider their applications unsuccessful.